Games Teachers To Submit Quarterly Progress reports on the implementation of P.E and Sport policy
Heads of departments in various schools will have to submit Quarterly Progress reports on the implementation of P.E and Sport policy to the principals, who will in turn submit them to the sub county directors of education. This is a new directive as per a circular signed by the principal secretary in the ministry of education, Dr, Julius Jwan and addressed to Regional Directors of Education, County Directors of Education and Sub-County Director of Education. This new directive was arrived at as a measure to keep learners engaged so as to minimize arson incidences in schools.
“The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with KNATCOM, GIZ, UNESCO and other education partners has developed the Physical Education and Sport Policy for Basic Education. This is a major step towards operationalizing the Arts and Sport Science Pathway in the implementation of Competency Based Curriculum (CBC). It is worth noting, the seven core competencies in CBC are achievable through engaging learners in Physical Education and Sport,” reads part of the letter.
Towards the implementation of Physical Education (P.E) and Sport Policy, all Heads of Basic Education Institutions are expected to:
- Ensure physical education as a subject is taught.
- Constitute an institutional based P.E and Sport committee.
- Establish P.E and Sport club in the institution.
- Coordinate peer support programmes for teachers in P.E and Sport
- Put in place mechanisms for internal quality assurance of P.E and sport programmes.
- Provide adequate spaces and equipment for P.E and Sport activities.
- Promote both modern and traditional games and sport at institutional level.
- Sensitize learners and entire school community on the importance of inclusive talent development in P.E and Sport.
- Establish mechanism for protecting learners from abuse and exploitation while engaging in P.E and Sport.
- Sensitize learners on safety standards for P.E and Sport
- Maintain data of learners engaged in P.E and Sport.
- Submit Quarterly Progress reports on the implementation of P.E and Sport policy to Sub-County Director of Education. Consequently, the Physical Education and Sport Policy can be accessed in the ministry of education website www.education.go.ke
You are required to bring the content of this letter to the attention to all Heads of Basic Education Institutions within your area of jurisdiction.