Kakamega KMTC Branch Background Information
Kakamega KMTC Branch was established in 1952 and started offering certificate course in enrolled community health nursing.
After 27 years, Kakamega KMTC Branch introduced a certificate course in Environmental Health Sciences.
Early 1981, Kakamega KMTC Branch started offering yet another course-a certificate course in Medical Lab Technology, which it later christened, certificate in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
In 1994, the certificate course in Medical Laboratory Sciences was changed to diploma in medical sciences.
Kakamega KMTC Branch school of nursing also changed the certificate in enrolled community nursing course to diploma in enrolled community nursing in the year 2000.
Towards the end of 2001, Kakamega KMTC Branch introduced an in-service diploma programme in environmental Health Sciences to be offered alongside the certificate course.
It is in 2005 that Kakamega KMTC Branch began a programme to upgrade the enrolled community health nurses to diploma holders. Upgrade programmes in the other remaining courses were also conducted in the same year.
Kakamega KMTC Branch Location
Kenya Medical Training College KMTC, Kakamega branch is located in Kakamega town, proximal to the County Referral Hospital of Kakamega.
Kakamega KMTC Branch Current Programmes
- Certificate course in Environment Health Sciences
- Diploma course in Environment Health Sciences
- Diploma course in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing
- Diploma course in Kenya Registered Nursing and Midwifery.
- Diploma course in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Diploma course in Clinical Medicine and Surgery.
Kakamega KMTC Branch Facilities
- Competent lecturers
- Fully stocked library
- Fully networked computer lab with adequate modern computers for research
- Open and swift wi-fi throughout the Kakamega KMTC Branch. The wi-fi remains on 24/ 7
- adequate modern apartment like hostels for accommodation of Kakamega KMTC Branch students.
- Modern administration block
- Enough spacious classrooms.
Kakamega KMTC Branch student Population
Currently, Kakamega KMTC Branch has about 1000 students from within and outside Kakamega county. The enrolment is expected to go higher in the future intakes.
Kakamega KMTC Branch Clinical Experience centres
The major clinical experience centre for Kakamega KMTC Branch students is the County Referral Hospital of Kakamega. Other sites for clinical experience are Vihiga county referral hospital, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga teaching and referral hospital and many other health centres within and outside Kakamega county.
Kakamega KMTC Branch Clubs and Societies
- Kakamega KMTC Branch Catholic Action
- Kakamega KMTC Branch Christian Union
- Kakamega KMTC Branch Muslim Group
- Kakamega KMTC Branch SDA group.
Kakamega KMTC Branch sports teams
Kakamega KMTC Branch participates in games activities involving universities, colleges and clubs from zonal to national levels. The most vibrant teams in the institution are:
- Kakamega KMTC Branch football team
- Kakamega KMTC Branch athletics team
- Kakamega KMTC Branch netball team
- Kakamega KMTC Branch basketball team
Kakamega KMTC Branch Contact Details
KMTC Kakamega Campus,
P.O Box 535-50100,
Telephone number: +254712133469/ +254722782720/ +254721555003
Email address: [email protected]