KICD Reveals New Literature and Fasihi Setbooks For 2022-2025-How To Get Your Copies

KICD Warns Teachers, Parents Against Buying Grade 6 CBC Model Papers

Parents having Grade 6 candidates have been cautioned against purchasing model test papers for the pioneer competency-based assessment exams to mark the end of primary school at grade six. The competency-based curriculum (CBC) exams are scheduled for November this year.

Already, there are business people selling models of the test papers for the summative assessment, which will account for 40 per cent of a learner’s score. The remaining 60 per cent will be obtained from formative assessments sat in Grades 4, 5 and 6.

It is the final score that will be used to place learners in junior secondary school (JSS), when the  pioneer class will be transiting in January 2023.

“Because learners are going to be assessed in Grade 6, there are people selling model papers supposedly for that grade. Do not buy them; they must be approved by KICD. We want to make this assessment as natural as possible, almost like what they do in school on a day-to-day basis,” said Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development chief executive Charles Ong’ondo.

Read also:

Urgent Call For Examiners-Apply Now

Ministry Of Education Advertises Over 300 Part -Time Job Vacancies-Apply Now

List Of Schools That Will Host Junior Secondary Schools Per County Under CBC

Multiple Choice Exams For Grade 6 KPSEA Ready: KNEC

Lobby Group Backs Ministry in Push to Scrap Boarding Schools Under CBC

Teachers of Technical Subjects to Teach in More Than One School Under CBC

“Let parents expect a low stakes assessment because we already have 60 per cent of their ability through 20 marks from Grade 4, Grade 5 and Grade 6,” said Prof Ong’ondo.

According to Ong’ondo, the curriculum allows learners an opportunity to explore their potential and interests before choosing their preferred pathways in senior secondary school in JSS.

“This is consistent with the psychological age of these children. They are aged 12 or some of them who are a bit older will be 13, 14 and 15. Psychologically, that is the most volatile age for all human beings. They want to explore, in school you will see them excelling in sciences but next term their attention shifts to arts. It’s fine because it is an age of exploration,” Ong’ondo stressed.

Ong’ondo was speaking during the Kenya Private Schools Association (KPSA) conference in Mombasa, where he said the CBC curriculum emphasises the achievement of demonstrable learning outcomes in every learner at different levels. At the pre-primary school level, CBC concentrates on giving learners interactive skills.

Support us

Thanks for reading our article. Funds From this blog goes towards needy children. Kindly Support them by clicking the button below:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here