Mathari KMTC Branch History
Mathari KMTC Branch was opened officially in the year 1961 by the British colonialists. The major aim of establishing Mathari KMTC Branch was to respond to the demand of enrolled psychiatrists in the whole country by offering a basic course in psychiatry. The agreement was that the psychiatric nurses be absorbed in the mental hospital of Mathari upon successful completion of the course.
Mathari KMTC Branch offered the course for 15 continuous years before replacing it with a post basic course in psychiatry in nursing, lasting 12 months.
In the year 2003, Mathari KMTC Branch introduced an upgrade diploma course in Kenya registered nursing to replace the certificate course in enrolled community nursing.
Mathari KMTC Branch location
Kenya Medical Training College, KMTC, Mathari branch, is situated along the famous Thika Super Highway, inside the compound of Mathare National Teaching and Referral Hospital, just directly opposite the police station of Muthaiga. Mathare KMTC Branch is precisely 4.1 km from the Nairobi CBD, towards the north.
Mathari KMTC Branch Current Programmes
Currently, Mathare KMTC Branch offers the following courses:
- A Diploma course in Kenya Registered Nursing, specializing in Mental Health and Psychiatry.
- A Higher Diploma course in Kenya Registered Nursing, specializing in Psychiatry
- A Higher Diploma course in Clinical Medicine, Mental Health and Psychiatry option
- A Higher Diploma course in Addiction Science
Mathari KMTC Branch projected future courses
Plans are underway at the Mathari KMTC Branch to introduce the following courses:
- A Diploma course in Kenya Registered Nursing
- A Certificate course in Enrolled Psychiatric Nursing
- A Diploma course in Clinical Medicine
- A Higher Diploma course in Occupational Therapy, Mental Health and Psychiatry option
- A Certificate course in Mental Health and Addiction
Mathari KMTC Branch projected short courses
- Short course in Mental Health and psychiatry Orientation
- A short course in Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Psychiatry, lasting 6 weeks
- A short course in Mental Health for Elderly persons, lasting 2 weeks
- A short course in Forensic Psychiatry, lasting 2 weeks
- A short course in Health, lasting 6 months
Mathari KMTC Branch Facilities
Mathari KMTC Branch has the following facilities:
- A properly maintained College bus
- Spacious Classrooms
- A big Library, properly stocked with books
- A Computer lab, filled with adequate modern computers
- An Administration Block, hosting administrative offices.
- Adequate Hostels
Mathari KMTC Branch Student population
Mathari KMTC Branch has a precisely 700 students, with hopes of having higher numbers in the next intake.
Mathare KMTC Branch Clubs and societies
- Mathari KMTC Branch Christian Union
- Mathari KMTC Branch Catholic Action
- Mathari KMTC Branch Muslim society
- Mathari KMTC Branch Seventh Day Adventist club
- Mathari KMTC Branch Environmental club
Mathari KMTC Branch sports teams
- Mathari KMTC Branch Football teams
- Mathari KMTC Branch volleyball teams
- Mathari KMTC Branch indoor teams for darts, badminton, chess and scrabble
- Mathari KMTC Branch netball team
- Mathari KMTC Branch athletics teams
Mathari KMTC Branch Contact details
KMTC Mathari Campus,
P.O. BOX 46028-00100,
Telephone number: 020-2391315
Email address: email@example.com