Not off TPD Hook: TSC Tells Teachers, Spells New TPD Incentives During CBC Training
The teachers service commission, TSC, has expressed lack of will in letting teachers free from the lethal TPD programs. This comes at a time when the national assembly has put a stop on the program, till the teachers’ employer meets certain conditions.
Though teachers had forgotten about TPD and the possibility of implementing it soon, teachers who attended the just ended phase 1 CBC training were surprised when the trainers of trainers started teaching them about TPD, the costs that will be incurred, the incentives, the action which will be taken against perpetrators, among other things.
It is now clear that TPD will be the new norm for teachers and nothing shall stop it.
Below are some of the information on CBC that were collected during the training.
Incentives for Teachers undertaking TPD
- Earning of TPD points: At the end of each year, teachers will earn 60 TPD points based on the prescribed modules
- Teachers will also earn 40 TPD points based on professional learning captured under TPADg. INSETS by CEMASTEA and others.
- Accumulated TPD points will be used to Renew Teaching Certificate of successful participants every 5 years
Assessment of TPD
TPD activities will be evaluated based on authentic assessment which will include :
- Reflective journal: are you the same or is there change?
- Participant led final synthesis
- Individual Professional Portfolio development and Presentation
How will TPD based on prescribed modules be delivered?
Contracted TPD service providers will deliver TPD through:
- Face to Face workshops will be held at Sub County level. The workshop will take 5 days during one school holiday in a year
- Online webinar (ODL): During the other two school holidays in a year, professional learning will be through an online platform ( synchronous and asynchronous) for 5 days (simultaneously)
- There shall be six modules, each having 5 chapters addressing all the 7 KePTS standards.
- Teachers will first enroll for Introductory Module which will last for 1 year.
- The Introductory Module will be done through online webinar.
Accreditation of TPD Service Providers
TPD service providers must be recognized and registered with the Commission to offer services which must address the 7 KePTS
The Commission will accredit various categories of TPD service providers as follows:
Category 1:Government Institutions mandated to capacity teachers : Their TPD learning outcomes must be aligned to at least one of the seven KePTS
Category 2:Non State Actors who are in partnership with the Commission. Their TPD learning outcomes must be aligned to at least one of the seven KePTS
Category 3: Organizations selected through competitive tendering system. Will use the Commission’s prescribed modules with all the seven standards
- Category 3 TPD Service providers will charge a fee for the services they will offer. Currently , teachers will be charged KSH 6000 per year payable directly to the TPD service provider.
- Teachers are expected to enroll with a service provider of their choice.
- The four accredited category 3 Service providers are:
- Kenyatta University
- Mount Kenya University
- Riara University and
- Kenya Education Management Institute (KEMI)
- More category 3 service providers will be selected competitively through a procurement process in 2023