Salaries of ECDE Teachers in Kenya per county
Salaries of early childhood development education (ECDE) teachers vary, depending on counties, regardless of their similar qualifications.
This is probably because the county governments directly contract or employ ECD teachers and not the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) or the ministry of education.
Salaries of ECDE teachers start from ksh. 7,000, with the highest paying county paying ksh. 40,000. Most counties employ ECDE teacher on contract terms as opposed to permanent and pensionable terms. In some of the counties, teachers are entitled to house allowance, responsibility allowance and commuter allowances.
Counties That pay ECD Teachers Salaries Less Than ksh. 10,000
Baringo, Narok, Bomet, Kakamega, Vihiga, Uasin Gishu, Kilifi, Migori, Laikipia, Busia, Kiambu,Busia and Kericho.
In these counties, ECD certificate holders earn ksh. 7,500 while their Diploma counterparts earn ksh. 8,500.
Counties That pay ECD Teachers Salaries Between ksh. 10,000- ksh. 20,000
Makueni, Machakos, Isiolo, Marsabit, Murang’a, Nyeri, Makueni, Meru, Isiolo, Trans Nzoia, Elgeyo Marakwet, Kisumu, Kwale, Kirinyaga, Mombasa, Transnzoia, Nandi, Kisii and Nyamira,Siaya, nairobi.
In these counties, certificate holders earn ksh. 10,000, diploma holders earn ksh. 12,200 while degree holders earn ksh. 15,000.siaya County also offers paid NHIF to its ECD Teachers.
An assistant ECDE teacher in Nairobi County earns a salary of between Ksh 15,620.00 to Ksh 19,160.00.
Counties That pay ECD Teachers Salaries More Than ksh. 20,000
Taita Taveta, Wajir, Bungoma, turkana, kajiado, mandera and Embu counties.
Mandera county ECD Teachers’ Salaries
Certificate holders-ksh. 28,000
Diploma holders- ksh. 30,000
Untrained ECD teachers- ksh. 20,000
Kajiado county ECD Teachers’ Salaries
Certificate holders- ksh. 24,000
Diploma- ksh. 27,000
degree holders- ksh. 35,000
Turkana County county ECD Teachers’ Salaries
Diploma holders : ksh. 43,000
Certificate holders ksh. 37,000.
Job description of ECD Teachers
- Class teaching
- Organizing and facilitating play/learning activities for the learners;
- Caring and nurturing spiritual, moral, social, mental, physical, aesthetic and emotional growth of the learners (holistic development)
- Managing ECDE classes and keeping professional and administrative records (Schemes of work, lesson plans, daily programme of activities, attendance registers etc.) and ensuring learners’ safety and security;
- Preparing and developing play/learning materials.
Qualifications to be an ECD Teacher
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) minimum grade D+(Plus) or KCE division IV at ‘O’ Level;
- Certificate in Early Childhood Development Education offered by KNEC/Ministry of Education or its approved equivalent;
- A certificate in Computer proficiency;
- Certificate of Good Conduct. NEXT