Shut exam centres to be reopened Ahead of KCPE And KCSE
The chief administrative secretary in the ministry of education, Zack Kinuthia, has declared that Standard Eight and Form Four private examination centres that were closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic will be reopened before March next year.
Kinuthia revealed that President Uhuru Kenyatta directed the Ministries of Education, Health, Devolution and Interior to ensure the centres are operational before the national examinations begin in March.
According to Kinuthia, the President is not at peace since over 180 private primary and secondary schools that had been registered as examinations centres were closed and may not reopen.
“The president has directed that school proprietors and directors be called for meetings at the schools before the year ends,” said Kinuthia.
The government has expressed will to bail out some of the schools by giving them capital.
President Kenyatta had in August 2020, promised to set aside Sh7 billion in loans to cushion private schools affected by the covi-19 pandemic. However, the schools are yet to receive any funding.
As per the report by the Kenya Private Schools Association (KPSA), more than 250 institutions will not open on January 4, affecting over 56,000 children.
Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha last week said the government would establish temporary centres for KCPE and KCSE candidates whose schools may have closed.He asked parents of children in other classes to enrol them in public schools.
The Health Ministry will enforce Covid-19 protocols while that of Interior will work to get candidates and other learners back to school.
The Ministry of Devolution will be involved since county governments are in charge of the Early Childhood Development Education.
“Our field intelligence filed reports that we shared with State House. We wanted to know what happens to closed schools whose directors cannot be found,” Kinuthia said.