Teacher Promotion, Professional Growth To Be Determined By Performance In The Mandatory Refresher Courses

Steps To Follow When Seeking Death Gratuity From TSC

The Teachers Service Commission has outlined steps to follow when filling death gratuity claims as it moves to ease the payment process.

Main Obstacles Behind Delayed Payment

It identified poor documentation

filing wrong declaration forms

family disputes

inability to trace the next of kin


The Commission advised employees to regularly update the next of kin form, dependants and contact details.

Where there are two or more wives, all of them should fill the forms unless they agree to nominate one of them as their legal representative. Such an agreement must be in writing and signed by each of them.

Read also:

Summarized Guide to Fill Your Online Wealth Declaration in TSC Portal using Mobile Phone

Where the teacher and the spouse are both deceased, the children should nominate one of them to be paid on their behalf and ensure they have a written agreement signed by all and witnessed by the area chief.

The Commission also encourages the next of kin of deceased teachers to seek assistance from human resource officers at TSC county and sub-county offices when filling and submitting the documents required for processing the claims.

TSC only processes the claim then presents it to the National Treasury for payment. According to the Pensions Act (Cap.189), the benefit is a lump sum (one off) amount payable to the legal representative or dependents of a teacher who dies while serving on permanent and pensionable terms of service. The amount payable is equivalent to two years’ salary, calculated on the pay at the time of death.

Mandatory documents required are declaration forms, and Widows and Children’s Pension Scheme (GP 215) form the widow/widower declaration form is filled by a husband/wife whose spouse has passed away, while the Dependants’ Declaration form is filled by children where both parents are deceased or the deceased parent was not married, or by a parent, sibling, or other guardian in case of a deceased teacher who was not married and had no children.

The GP 215 Form is filled, together with the dependants’ declaration form, by a parent, sibling, or other guardian in the case of a male deceased teacher who was not married and had no children.

Support us

Thanks for reading our article. Funds From this blog goes towards needy children. Kindly Support them by clicking the button below:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here